- you wish to continue in a foreign language with which you have some experience (even if you have already filled the language requirement with another language).
- you have AP or CLEP credit in the language that you wish to continue studying.
- you are beginning a new language with which you have no experience.
- you are a student in the Center for Adult Learning (CAL).
- you are a transfer student transferring three or more semester hours of foreign language credit.
- you are a non-native speaker of English who has taken the NYU 12 Point Test and has received 6 or more points.
If you fall into the "Yes" category, then you must take the Foreign Language Placement Test for the language you wish to study. You cannot "self-place" yourself. You must take the Foreign Language Placement Test before you enroll in any courses of a language which you have previously studied.
French, German, and Spanish tests may be taken online, just select "Register" above.
If you are testing in Arabic, Hebrew, Italian, Latin, Portuguese, or Russian, you do not need to complete this registration form, please contact Jessica Brandt for an appointment.
Additional times can be scheduled by appointment.
Please be aware that due to the University holiday closure, if you take the test between 12/23/16 and 1/2/17, your placement results will not be available until after 1/3/17.
Free Elective Policy for World Languages: See "FAQs" above.
The Foreign Language Placement Test must be completed prior to Summer Orientation and Registration for the Fall semester. Students accepted for the Spring semester should complete the test before registering for classes.
If you are still uncertain, click here for futher explanation or contact us.